Instagram
  • COLLECTOR OF IMAGES

    I'm A Colorful Rainbow Ombre Hair Addict


    Photobucket

    30 WEEKS OF EXPERIMENTATION

    A BRIEF HISTORY OF MY HAIR

    This is my natural hair color. A medium dark brown.

    CHOP CHOP

    After trimming it and finding the various lengths lackluster, I went for it and gave myself a short bob. If you're trying to grow out your bangs, this totally works by making most of your hair the same length.

    WHY NOT CHANGE IT UP EVEN MORE?

    D.I.Y. world of blonde here 

    HOMBRE, I'M GOIN OMBRE

    My Rainbow inspiration here

     And the rainbow journey has begun

    I used paintbrushes, wide plastic tupperware, plastic gloves, conditioner to protect my skin, and a cape. Conditioner can be mixed with intense colors to subdue their brilliance. I also used manic panic VIRGIN SNOW to cover the areas I wanted no color to seep into.

    essential must have


    Jazzing Sheer Color #040 Red Hot  //  N Rage Twisted Teal // Manic Panic Purple Haze


    Jazzing Red Hot is semi- permanent color and fades very very quickly. I love the color but wish it didn't fade so fast. Twisted Teal held it's color like glue. All the colors have faded into lovely pastel shades. I highly recommend keeping blonde here and there. It adds great contrast to bright colors. 

    THE FADE OUT
     Looking back at all the phases of colors that is to come, this was by far my favorite. Once you go darker, it is very hard to cover unless you strip the colors out.
    Photobucket
    This rainbow pattern below was inspired by meadham kirchhoff spring 2011. This is the dye freshly applied.



    New color added to the mix: Back Ends: N'Rage Bubble Gum Pink • Roots: Manic Panic Purple Haze • Middle: Twisted Teal • Middle above pink, long strip from roots, and right ends: Jazzing Red Hot
    CHOP BANGS + THE FADE OUT


    Photobucket

    PINK BANGS

    Inspired by Luella Bartley Spring 2008. The color quest continues.
    I'm still using up the same colors but in just different areas.

    THE BLEACH OUT
    A fresh bleaching to lighten the roots and remove color, but teal is so colorfast.


    Photobucket

    BROWN // TEAL GRADIENT 
    My attempt at brown semi-permanent dye. We'll see...
    New Color added: Roots: Clairol Beautiful Collection Light Reddish Brown • Tips: Twisted Teal 
    THE FADE OUT
    At this point, I'm kind of sick of teal, but I have so much left so I'm gonna go for it. 

    Photobucket
    ALL TEAL
    I went for it •ALL TEAL• A hard look to pull off. I've become an anime character. Surprisingly rainbow hair is way easier to pull off.


    The best way to change from a darker color like this is bleaching. Beanies are your best friend. 


    Photobucket


    BACK TO RAINBOW

    I added brown and new colors green and black to the mix. Green stains your hair very quickly. I would apply it to my hair and rinse about 3 minutes later and no color would rinse off.


    CLAIROL BEAUTIFUL COLLECTION Light Reddish Brown at roots • JAZZING black at the roots • NRAGE Twisted Teal in the middle • MANIC PANIC lizard green at ends
    THE FADE OUT

    The semipermanent brown and black dyes have very little staining power. They are great if you don't want permanent color, but wash out in just a few washes. 
    Photobucket
    MORE BLUES AND GREENS
    JAZZING black at the roots • MANIC PANIC lizard green mixed with NRAGE teal for a darker green • green everywhere else.
    Photobucket

    GOING GREEN
    This shade of lizard green is so pretty and looks great mixed with black/brown roots. I really enjoyed this combo.


    THE FADE OUT

    Photobucket

    FEELING A BIT NORMAL AGAIN
    Semi permanent brown dyes were fading too quickly, so I opted for a permanent warm cherry brown box dye and was happy with the result. For a little playfulness, I added more green to the tips.

    whew....that was a good ride. more pics to come. I just dyed my roots jet black. My green dye is just about used up. 

    TIPS I'VE LEARNED THESE PAST 30 WEEKS

    •start with whitest blonde possible for colors to be pure. if you start with brown hair, the color will be muted.
    •apply conditioner or manic panic virgin snow toner in parts of hair you don't want dyed.
    •read lots of reviews on colors to get an idea of how it may turn out.
    •always wear gloves and protect your skin with vaseline or conditioner.
    •when using multiple colors, use a separate brush for each color.
    •use clarifying shampoo to help remove color.
    •start with a pastel color and work your way to darker tones.


    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

     

    Follow Us on Tumblr

    SHOP OUR VINTAGE GARMENTS